16 March, 2007

Looking Good

I've made a static pool of particles - for emitter actors - that can be recycled instead of being destroyed and recreated over and over again. This has greatly reduced the number of garbage collections that are happening to well within acceptable limits.

The framerate back up to over 400 again with the single effect playing, which consists of an average 160 alpha blended, rotating, scaling, and tinted particles. Much better.

I also took a little time to get the collision detection optimized a bit. Eventually I'd like to get a simple quad tree in the playfields, but right now O(n^2) collision detection isn't much of an issue for an Asteroids clone.

All told, it's been a pretty productive week of optimizations, and I'm back on track to implementing more features that need done.

No comments: